Deliberations on the verdict of the dog owner who attacked

Deliberations on the verdict of the dog owner who attacked two women –

Patrick Houle, the owner of the dogs that attacked two women on a bike path in Val-des-Sources in August 2021, was found guilty of two counts of negligent bodily harm last November and faces prison time.

During his sentencing presentations Friday afternoon at the Sherbrooke Courthouse, prosecuting prosecutor Me François Houle suggested that a suspended sentence of 9 to 12 months be served in the community and a three-year suspended sentence be imposed, barring him from possession of dogs prohibit the ends of justice.

In defense, Me Bernard Raymond instead proposes an unconditional dismissal and a fine of $2,000, emphasizing that his client is not a person prone to violence and that his behavior has been exemplary since the incidents.

On August 31, 2021, Micheline Beaulieu and Jacqueline Sévigny were attacked by two Great Danes while walking on the cycle path that runs on the premises of the defendant's MTR company in Val-des-Sources.

The two women suffered significant bites to their arms and legs, according to photos submitted in court during the trial.

On Friday they testified about the effects they still have 28 months later. Trouble sleeping, tremors, panic attacks and an excruciating fear of dogs were just some of the symptoms they listed.

On the morning of the events, Patrick Houle had left the gate of his company's fence open. His five dogs took the opportunity to chase a group of walkers.

During the trial it emerged that he had been asked to tie up his dogs several times in the past.

On Friday it was explained to the court how much he feels excluded:

“Since the events, I've been the mean guy who sets his dogs on three ladies […] They treat me like a criminal!” said Mr Houle, adding that he had not trained them to be guard dogs.

To this end, his lawyer presented the judge with 13 videos in which we see Patrick Houle interacting with his dogs. The aim was to show that he never behaved disorderly or recklessly in the way he raised her.

“It was an accident, what happened, I sincerely regret what happened,” he said, turning around and looking at the victims.

Judge Conrad Chapdelaine made his decision under advice. He will announce his verdict on January 26th.

Remember that Patrick Houle is appealing his conviction announced last November.