A woman had her arms and legs amputated in California

A woman had her arms and legs amputated in California after eating uncooked tilapia; understand

Photo: Social Networks; Unsplash/Vladimir Gladkov

A woman from California in the US had her arms and legs amputated after eating undercooked fish. Laura Barajas, 40, contracted a serious bacterial infection after eating the food.

Laura’s symptoms began about two months ago after she ate tilapia that she bought at a local market and prepared at home. When she was taken to hospital, it was discovered that Laura had contracted an infection caused by the bacteria vibrio vulnificus, which is found in marine life but can also infect river fish in rare cases.

Normally the pathogen is eliminated during any cooking process or even freezing, but serious complications can occur when ingested by humans. Laura stopped responding to standard treatment and fell into a coma. Since then she has continued to fight for her life.

“She almost lost her life. She was placed on a ventilator, placed in a medically induced coma and suffered serious complications including sepsis and kidney failure. Her fingers, feet and even her lip turned black,” Anna Messina, Laura’s friend, told American news channel KRON.

As a last resort, the woman’s arms and legs were amputated last Thursday (14) as she struggled with extensive infection and kidney failure. The decision was made to prevent the dead tissue accumulated in these regions from aggravating the infection. “It was very difficult for all of us. It’s terrible. “This could have happened to any of us,” Barajas’ friend added.

Laura Barajas stopped responding to standard treatment after the widespread infection and fell into a coma, and both legs and both arms were amputated (Photo: Reproduction)

Messina says she and Laura’s family, including her 6yearold daughter, are still waiting to hear more details about the incident. She also hopes people realize how valuable life can be. “Be grateful for what we have now because it can be taken away so quickly and easily,” he said.

Recently, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a warning about a dangerous bacterial infection that can occur from eating raw or undercooked fish or from contact with open wounds in coastal waters. The same bacteria are believed to have caused the woman’s current condition. In addition, according to the health service, between 150 and 200 cases of infection with Vibrio vulnificus are registered each year, and around one in five infected people dies.