After a devastating mass panic Halloween Celebrations in 2022 with more than 150 deaths, the delegate is the South Korean capital Seoul It was charged. Kim Kwang Ho is accused of professional negligence resulting in injury or death, prosecutors said Friday.
➤ Read more in the original post: Mass panic at Halloween celebrations in Seoul
On the night of October 29, 2022, around 100,000 people, mostly young people, gathered in the narrow streets of the Itaewon nightlife district in Seoul without police intervention. As a result of the mass panic, more than 150 people died.
Prosecutors say Seoul's police chief failed to take “necessary measures.”
Kim “did not take necessary measures” that day, such as deploying sufficient police forces, although he was able to “predict possible dangers,” the prosecution said. Kim is the highest-ranking police officer to be tried over the tragedy.
➤ Read more: Mass panic in Seoul: police admit mistakes
Although prosecutors had already charged other officers, they had not yet made a decision regarding Kim. Victims' families expressed disappointment that the decision to press charges was taken so late. Kim must “immediately resign from office” and face trial, they said.