Questions have arisen about where Prince Harry will stay when he flies back to the UK to see his father following his shock cancer diagnosis, with Frogmore Cottage now off limits.
The Duke of Sussex will soon leave California for the UK to be reunited with his father, King Charles, after it was revealed he has cancer.
Harry will travel alone, without his wife Meghan Markle or their children Archie, four, and Lilibet, two, a source close to the duke revealed yesterday.
It is unclear where the Duke will stay after he was told to vacate Frogmore Cottage, his former home, in January 2023, just days after the publication of his tell-all memoir Spare.
The last time the prince flew to Britain was in September for the Well Child Awards, where he stayed in a hotel.
It is understood the Duke asked if he could stay at Windsor Castle to visit his grandmother, the resting place of the late Queen Elizabeth II, but was refused permission.
Harry normally travels with his own private security team, having been stripped of his right to automatic police protection when he left the royal family in 2020.
The last time Harry flew to the UK was in September for the Well Child Awards, where he stayed in a hotel
Frogmore Cottage (pictured), which was formerly the home of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex
Prince Harry will fly to London in the coming days after King Charles' cancer diagnosis was made public. It is unknown whether Meghan and his children will come along
The King personally contacted both the Duke of Sussex and the Prince of Wales to inform them of his cancer diagnosis before it was announced by Buckingham Palace.
A source close to Harry said he immediately decided to come to the UK as quickly as possible to be by his father's side. Experts have claimed that Harry's escape to Britain “gives an indication of how serious” the king's condition is.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's office announced that Prince Harry would visit his father, saying: “The Duke has spoken to his father about his diagnosis.” He will travel to the UK to see His Majesty in the coming days .”
Former BBC royal correspondent Jennie Bond said she hopes King Charles III's cancer diagnosis “will lead to a reconciliation” with Prince Harry.
Harry's estranged brother William is also in close contact with his father, but neither brother has made a public statement yet. The heir to the throne returns to public duties this week after helping his wife, the Princess of Wales, settle at home while she recovers from abdominal surgery.
While the king is undergoing treatment, he may also take on some tasks on his father's behalf in addition to his own schedule.
King Charles has been diagnosed with cancer, Buckingham Palace announced in a statement this evening. Above: Charles was last seen waving to well-wishers as he attended a service at St Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham, Norfolk, on Sunday with his wife Queen Camilla
Buckingham Palace said in a statement this evening: “Another problem was noted during the King's recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement.” Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer.
Experts hope the diagnosis will lead to some sort of reconciliation between Harry and his father and brother
As the King's cancer shocked Britain, the Commonwealth and the world, the following also came to light:
Buckingham Palace announced Monday that doctors discovered the cancer during a medical procedure for an enlarged prostate. Sources suggest the cancer is in another part of the king's body but was discovered during surgery last week.
Prince Harry was last in Britain over the summer when he attended an event for a children's charity. However, he did not meet with the royal family on this visit before traveling to Germany for his Invictus Games, where he met Meghan.
The Duke of Sussex attended his father's coronation last May, but left London just hours after the ceremony to return to Montecito.
Harry is believed to be in contact with his father, but sources claim there has been no rapprochement with William, who is said to have been upset by the Sussexes' attacks on the royal family since Megxit.
Harry's visit raises hopes that relations, which have been difficult since he and Meghan emigrated in 2020, may be thawing somewhat.
King Charles' cancer diagnosis shocked the world.
The 75-year-old monarch has returned to London from Sandringham to begin treatment immediately.
It is not related to his recent surgery and is not prostate cancer, but doctors discovered it when he underwent medical surgery for an enlarged prostate.
The Duke of Sussex has spoken to the royal about his cancer diagnosis and will travel to Britain to see him in the coming days, a source close to Harry said.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement this evening: “Another problem was noted during the King's recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement.” Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a type of cancer.
“His Majesty began a regular treatment plan today, during which he was advised by doctors to postpone public duties.” During this time, His Majesty will continue to conduct state business and official paperwork as usual.
“The King is grateful to his medical team for the rapid intervention made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure.” He remains absolutely positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to public service as soon as possible.
“His Majesty has decided to share his diagnosis to avoid speculation and in the hope that it may contribute to the public’s understanding of all people affected by cancer around the world.”
The palace said the king looks forward to “returning to full public service as soon as possible,” but it is not yet known whether this will extend to his participation in events such as those marking the 80th anniversary of D-Day will have an impact in June.
It is understood he will continue to receive red boxes and process state documents during treatment, and there are no plans to appoint state advisers.
A palace spokesman said: “Unfortunately, some of the King's upcoming public appearances will have to be rearranged or postponed.”
“His Majesty would like to apologize to anyone who may be disappointed or inconvenienced by this.”
It is understood details of the king's diary are still being worked on and it is not yet known when a full program of engagements will begin.
Reacting to the news, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak tweeted: “I wish His Majesty a full and speedy recovery.”
“I have no doubt he will be back to full strength in no time and I know the whole country will wish him well.”
Labor leader Sir Keir Starmer tweeted: “On behalf of the Labor Party, I wish His Majesty all the best in his recovery.”
“We look forward to seeing him back to full health soon.”
House of Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle told MPs: “I know the whole House would like to join me in expressing our condolences to His Majesty the King following the announcement this evening.”
“Our thoughts are of course with His Majesty and his family and, following today’s news, we would all like to send him our very best wishes for successful treatment and a speedy recovery.”
The 75-year-old monarch was treated for an enlarged prostate last week and spent three nights at the London Clinic private hospital
When he was discharged from hospital last Monday, the royal appeared steady on his feet as he left the London Clinic in Marylebone with Queen Camilla by his side
ROYAL CANCER DIAGNOSIS: THE ROYAL FAMILY'S RECENT HEALTH FEAR
The King's cancer diagnosis is the latest health news for the royal family.
– Tuesday January 16th
Kate, 42, is secretly admitted to the London clinic and undergoes abdominal surgery.
– Wednesday January 17th
2:00 p.m. – Kensington Palace announces the Princess's operation and says she will remain in private hospital for 10 to 14 days.
She is not expected to return to duty until after Easter and will take up to three months to recover.
The Prince of Wales is temporarily stepping away from his official duties to care for his wife and children.
The exact nature of Kate's condition is being kept secret, but it is not cancer and Kensington Palace says the planned procedure was successful.
3.25pm - Buckingham Palace announces that the 75-year-old royal will undergo treatment for a benign enlarged prostate and will be hospitalized in a few days.
A source later said that the princess was “doing well.”
– Thursday January 18th
The Prince of Wales spends time at his wife's bedside and moves away from the back entrance during the low-key, private visit.
The Queen said during a visit to the Aberdeen Art Gallery that the King was “doing well” and “looking forward to getting back to work.”
– Friday January 19th
The King flies back from Scotland with the Queen and goes to his Sandringham estate in Norfolk to rest before the procedure.
– Sunday January 21st
It is announced that the King's former sister-in-law, Sarah, Duchess of York, is suffering from malignant melanoma, a form of skin cancer.
It has been less than a year since the 64-year-old Duchess was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.
– Monday January 22nd
The Queen tells 86-year-old well-wisher Jessie Jackson that the King is “fine” and thanks her for asking as she attends appointments in Swindon.
Meanwhile, Sarah, Duchess of York, describes her shock over skin cancer in a post on Instagram, but says she is in “good spirits” and “grateful for the many messages of love and support.”
– Tuesday, January 23rd
Kate's hospital stay passes the one-week mark.
Camilla tells the king to take it easy. An insider told The Sun: “The Queen has told him he needs to slow down a bit.”
– Thursday January 25th
The King carried out his official duties behind the scenes and met with academics from Cambridge University at Sandringham House.
The King returns to London from Norfolk and is ready for his treatment.
– Friday January 26th
The King is admitted to the London clinic with the Queen at his side for treatment of an enlarged prostate and also visits the Princess of Wales who is recovering in the same hospital.
– Monday January 29th
The king is released from the hospital and waves to well-wishers. Kate leaves the hospital the same day to continue her recovery at home.
– Wednesday January 31st
Camilla says the royal is “moving forward and doing his best” as she opens a Maggie cancer support center at the Royal Free Hospital in London.
– Sunday February 4th
The King and Queen visit Sandringham church as Charles waves to well-wishers.
– Monday February 5th
Kensington Palace confirms the Prince of Wales will return to official duties this week and begin an investiture.
6:00 p.m. – Buckingham Palace announces that the King has a form of cancer – but not prostate cancer – and has begun outpatient treatment.
He will not carry out any publicly accessible tasks, but will take care of state business and official papers behind the scenes.
The diagnosis is also likely to be professionally devastating for Charles, who was the longest-serving heir to the throne in British history before becoming king following the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth, on September 8, 2022.
Since then he has hit the ground running with three state visits abroad, hosted two state visits to the UK and made hundreds of public appearances each year, maintaining a rigorous official workload well into his 70s.
Aides said he enjoyed the challenge and was thoroughly enjoying his royal role.
The king's diagnosis will raise serious questions for the functioning of the monarchy, with fewer working members of the royal family and the Princess of Wales out of action until after Easter due to so-called “abdominal surgery”.
The Prince of Wales, heir to the throne, cleared his schedule to be by his wife's side and make life for their three children as normal as possible.
However, Kensington Palace announced today that it would resume its public duties this week by holding an investiture at Windsor Castle on Wednesday, followed by a gala fundraiser for the London Air Ambulance in the evening.
While Queen Elizabeth has repeatedly suffered from health problems over the years and has had to undergo multiple operations, including on her knee and cataracts, there was no major health crisis of this magnitude until the very final months of her historic 70-year reign.
However, this would have a serious impact on the family life of the Prince and Princess of Wales.
They moved to Windsor 18 months ago to give their children a more carefree childhood outside the royal bubble until absolutely necessary.
Prince George, ten, second in line to the throne, Princess Charlotte, eight, and five-year-old Prince Louis all attend a local school. Lambrook and have settled well into their new home, Adelaide Cottage.
William and Kate's team are still based at Kensington Palace in London, their official residence, and travel to Windsor for meetings.
The question inevitably arises as to how practical this will be for them now.
The king enjoyed very good health for most of his life, apart from suffering from a debilitating back problem.
The first sign that something was wrong with his health came on January 17, when Buckingham Palace made the surprise announcement that the royal was “seeking treatment” for an enlarged prostate.
The palace added that His Majesty's condition was “benign” and that he would be hospitalized the following week for corrective surgery.
They said he was personally interested in sharing details of his diagnosis to encourage other men who may be experiencing symptoms to get checked.
The NHS subsequently reported an encouraging increase in the number of people searching its website for more information.
His Majesty, who was in Scotland at the time, then traveled back to Sandringham and on to London the evening before his operation.
He was admitted to the London Clinic in Marylebone, central London, on January 26 along with his wife, Queen Camilla.
Buckingham Palace said it wanted to thank everyone for their well wishes and was pleased to learn that his diagnosis was having a positive impact on public health awareness.
He was finally released on Monday last week after three nights in hospital and said he was “fine”.
In order to be close to his doctors, he initially lived in Clarence House, his London residence, before returning to Sandringham with his wife.
Queen Camilla continued to remain publicly involved, telling the public that her husband was “doing well” and looking forward to getting back to work.
Last Tuesday, she told well-wishers that he was “coping” and “doing his best,” adding: “Thank God!”
One in three men over 50 experience symptoms of an enlarged prostate, which include going to the toilet more often with greater urgency and difficulty emptying the bladder.
An enlarged prostate, also called benign prostatic hyperplasia, usually does not pose a serious health threat and is not cancer.
However, patients may need to undergo several tests for the disease to rule out the possibility that they have another disease with similar symptoms, such as prostate cancer.
Surgery is usually only recommended for moderate to severe symptoms that do not respond to medication.
Mark Drakeford, the first minister of Wales, wished the king a “full and speedy recovery” following his cancer diagnosis.
In a post on X, formerly Twitter, he said: “I am saddened by the news that His Majesty King Charles III. faces further health challenges.”
“My thoughts and those of people across Wales will be with him and his family this evening.”
“I send him my very best wishes as he begins treatment for a full and speedy recovery.”
Northern Ireland's new first minister Michelle O'Neill, who is a republican as leader of Sinn Féin, wished the king a full and speedy recovery.
“I'm very sorry to hear of King Charles' illness and I wish him all the best in his treatment and a full and speedy recovery,” she posted on X.
Chief Rabbi Sir Ephraim Mirvis said today following the shocking news: “I am saddened to hear of His Majesty the King's diagnosis.”
“I know that the Jewish communities of Britain and the Commonwealth join me in wishing him a Refuah Sheleima – a full and speedy recovery.”
The 75-year-old monarch left the London Clinic last Monday with Queen Camilla at his side
As the king left the London clinic last Monday, he waved to a large crowd
The King was visited by Queen Camilla four times during his hospital stay
Health and Social Care Secretary Victoria Atkins wrote on X: “My thoughts are with King Charles and the entire Royal Family.”
“His decision to share his diagnosis to promote public understanding for all those affected by cancer is commendable.”
“I wish His Majesty all the best and look forward to him returning to his public duties.”
Shadow Health Secretary Wes Streeting, who was treated for kidney cancer in 2021, said: “One in two of us will develop cancer in our lifetime, but millions more are affected when someone we love is diagnosed with cancer.”
“I send best wishes to His Majesty for his treatment and to his family, who have supported him throughout.”